POSITION: A full-time professional position of event manager is available at Fond du Lac Festivals, Inc. beginning in fall 2018. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The event manager will report directly to the board of directors, and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of financial objectives and its mission to direct, promote, and support festivals and special events which showcase the Fond du Lac area community.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Strategic event planning and project management
- Sponsorship solicitation and budget/finance management
- Internal and external communication
- Relationship management
In general management, the event manager will:
- Assure the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing and executing events, organizational and financial planning with the Board and carry out plans and policies as authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Maintain a visible, involved community presence.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with community partners
In strategic event planning and project management, the event manager will:
- Solicit event sponsors, draft successful sponsorship proposals and foster and build new partnerships.
- In collaboration with the board of directors, create a long term vision for the future of Fond du Lac Festivals.
- Design and execute new and successful events with board approval.
- Maintain and improve the quality of existing events and processes.
- Lead and inspire staff and volunteers.
- Work closely with non-profit, sponsors and volunteer organizations
- Manage finance and operations for all events and projects.
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
In communications, the event manager will:
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Develop media strategies for all events and projects.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with government entities, community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to sponsors, volunteer groups, government, involved organizations and the general public.
In budget and finance, the event manager will:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Work with the designated accounting firm to assure completion and provision of monthly budget reports and annual financial report.
- Ensure adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
In staff and volunteer management, the event manager will:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment and release of all personnel including paid staff, interns and volunteers.
- Ensure job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held and sound human resource practices are in place.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, maintains and motivates top quality staff and volunteers.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development. Assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Develop an effective volunteer team with appropriate provision for succession.
- Bachelor’s Degree in event management, marketing, or tourism management, minimum 5 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to contact individuals, organizations and businesses to schedule appointments, make face-to-face visits and build positive relationships between community partners and Fond du Lac Festivals for soliciting and securing major sponsorships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be action oriented, driven for results and have strong problem solving skills.
- Critical for success is the ability to embody demonstrate professionalism in all interaction and foster community partnerships.
To apply, submit the following in PDF format to email@example.com:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references